Web Report Studio: Update Resources to Fix Your Report
Is there a worse way to start your day than someone calling to tell you that your marvelous Web Report Studio report is not working? Yes, this means the world is being denied a viewing of your stunning visual design efforts about last quarter’s sales data! I agree, this is one the same level as someone stealing a painting from the Louvre or playing a Beethoven masterpiece with a kazoo. So here’s what you need to do …
How You Know Something is Wrong
When you try to open the report, an error message similar to the following figure appears to warn you that something is amiss. Since it is warning you a file cannot be found, you should suspect the information map is missing. Although, this message leads you to believe the report file is missing. If that file was missing, you would not be able to even try to open it.
Confirming It is the Information Map
You need to confirm the information map is the culprit! Here’s how:
- From the Web Report Studio homepage, select File > Manage Files. A File Management window appears allowing you to navigate to your report.
- Beside your report name, in the Actions column, select the tiny blue icon with the arrow.
- From the pop-up menu, select Update resources …
Notice that you can take other actions on the file, such as copying, renaming, and so on.
Immediately you will see in red text that the information map is missing. At this point, you may want to make a copy of this report in case the new information map has changed. If the information map was simply renamed or moved to new location, then proceed. [Sweetie Pie – you have been warned!] Angela had a suggestion for using this method with nearly identical info maps.
So as you can see in the following figure, the information map was renamed from Regional_Sales_2012 to Regional_Sales_2013. Oh yeah, remember your boss asked you to do that yesterday as you were leaving to pick up your wicked new shoes with the royal blue laces! Guess you forgot to change the report to point to the new information map.
- Click the Browse button and navigate to the location of the information map.
- Select the information map and click Ok.
- Select Ok to exit the window.
Not Everyone Can Do This …
That’s right … you must have the capability assigned in the SAS Management Console. In the Web Report Studio: Advanced Report Creation there is a Update Resources capability. Thus, without this capability assigned to your role – you are out of luck. You’ll have to charm or bribe the SAS administrator into allowing you the permission or doing it for you. Emergencies like this are why you keep that crisp Jefferson in your desk drawer. [You could also try one of these origami tricks with a dollar bill.]
Learn all about SAS BI
You can learn more about SAS Business Intelligence from the "SAS BI Bible." Take a peek inside the Building Business Intelligience with SAS book.
Latest posts by Tricia Aanderud (see all)
- Use Network Analysis to Understand Your Customers with SAS Visual Analytics 8.2 - 2018-01-21
- My 7 Favorite Features in SAS Visual Analytics 8.2 on Viya - 2018-01-14
- Creating a Web Analytics Report in SAS Visual Analytics 8.1 - 2017-06-19
- Designing Dashboards: Sending Your Style Vibe - 2017-01-21
- SAS Visual Analytics: Design Versus Reality - 2016-10-05