SAS Enterprise Guide: Identifying Errors in the Log
In an earlier post, I provided a check log program that you could use with your batch jobs. There was some really interesting discussions in the Comments about using SAS Enterprise Guide with the log. Here’s some tips I have for working with the SAS Enterprise Guide logs – everything from some quick tips to changing the style.
Cruising the SAS EG Log
When you run a program in SAS EG, if there are issues then a red x appears on the Program icon (1) and the Log pane (2) becomes the focus, as shown in the following figure. When you log has error or warning messages, you can use the arrows (3) to move to the next or return to the last – this is convenient especially when the log stretches from here to Saturn’s inner most rings. As you click the arrow – each error or warning message becomes the focus.
Adding Some Swagger to Your Log
Does your log lack umph? Lacking style? Got no swagger? Why not dress up the messages so they are identified a little easier? From the Tools > Options window do the following:
- Select SAS Programs from the list. The panel changes to the SAS Programs.
- Select Editor Options to display the Enhanced Editor Options window.
- Select Appearance. From here you can change the way the SAS program and SAS Log file settings display.
To change your SAS Log File appearance, do the following:
- Select SAS Log File from the File type drop-down.
- From the File elements list, select Error. Use the Foreground, Background, and Font Style options to change how the Error Message appears. I like adding the Bright Yellow background with Red letters because you cannot miss it.
- Save the changes. You can edit the settings for other items, such as the Warning message. Go ahead – play around til you find something really tacky to annoy your co-workers when they are looking over your shoulder. 😉
Note: I am using SAS EG 4.3 – however, I think the color changing is available with BASE SAS as well.
Never miss a BI Notes post!
Click here for free subscription. Once you subscribe you'll be asked to confirm your subscription through your email account. You email address is kept private and you can unsubscribe anytime.
Latest posts by Tricia Aanderud (see all)
- Use Network Analysis to Understand Your Customers with SAS Visual Analytics 8.2 - 2018-01-21
- My 7 Favorite Features in SAS Visual Analytics 8.2 on Viya - 2018-01-14
- Creating a Web Analytics Report in SAS Visual Analytics 8.1 - 2017-06-19
- Designing Dashboards: Sending Your Style Vibe - 2017-01-21
- SAS Visual Analytics: Design Versus Reality - 2016-10-05