SAS Enterprise Guide: Cut and Paste Excel Data into SAS Dataset
Yes, you can import a spreadsheet into SAS Enterprise Guide and it’s super simple. However, there are times when I have been building datasets from several pieces of data and need to scrape bits and pieces from here and there to add to my dataset. Come into my lab … now that I’m a data scientist! Careful, don’t knock over any of my beakers or touch my experiments – you might cause an explosion.
Create the Framework
Let’s get started on this experiment. To build your new dataset just decide how you want it to look – how many columns, what they will hold, and so on. Here’s how you do it in SAS Enterprise Guide:
- Go to the File > New > Data. A New Data window appears.
- In the Name field, type the name of your new dataset and then select the library you want it in. This needs to be a local library unless you have permissions to create a dataset in the metadata library. [A completely different subject … ]
- The next window allows you to create the columns. You can edit Column Properties to change the name, label, format, informat, and length. You can add and delete columns. Obviously – you can be your own little wizard and conjure up the dataset of your dreams!
Now for Some Excel Tricks
So, check it out. Some of my data is in Excel. All I have to do is cut and paste it into the new dataset. SAS Enterprise Guide understands and accepts the import. Wow … I actually was impressed the first time I tried this. I halfway expected everything to just go into one cell – but it grabbed it. You can also edit your dataset directly (if allowed by your administrator). [Again another different subject … ]
Join Angela and Me on Friday!
Angela and I will be participating in an E-Chat with the All Analytics editor, Beth Schultz this Friday. All Analytics is giving away a copy of the Building Business Intelligence with SAS book to two lucky chat participants. Drop by now and leave a question or comment for us at All Analytics now. It’s a great site – lots of fun information.
Date: 24 Feb 2012
Time: 2 PM EST
Never miss a BI Notes post!
Click here for free subscription. Once you subscribe you'll be asked to confirm your subscription through your email account. You email address is kept private and you can unsubscribe anytime.
Latest posts by Tricia Aanderud (see all)
- Designing Dashboards: Sending Your Style Vibe - 2017-01-21
- SAS Visual Analytics: Design Versus Reality - 2016-10-05
- Seize the Day! Submit an #SASGF Abstract - 2016-09-21
- Need a Dynamic X-Axis with Your SAS Visual Analytics Report? - 2016-07-31
- Planning Your SAS Visual Analytics Dashboard - 2016-06-06